|By Big Jeff Pearce|
GREEN SLIME: An Anti-Oxidant Rich, Fibre-Packed, Cancer-Fighting, Super Shake!!
What if I told you that you could get the majority of your daily veggie requirements from a single shake in the morning? You’d probably be pretty interested, right? Well, what if I told you that you could also get a whack of anti-oxidants, phyto-nutrients and fibre all at the same time? I bet you would be super interested at that point. Well, guess what: You can get all that and all you need is a good blender, some veggies/fruits and about 10 minutes in the morning.
Let’s get a few things straight first. I am a man’s man; I eat a lot of meat and chicken. And, I’m damn proud of it. If I ate anymore of it, I would probably start carrying a cow bell around my neck and start laying eggs. I am not a vegan, I am not captain vegetables and, come to think of it, I pretty much hate vegetables. But, do you know what I love? I love it when my body is moving the food I eat through and my body feels good. So, there is an easy solution… GREEN SLIME!!
What is green slime and why should you drink it? Well, green slime is a simple super shake that you can make at home in the morning with minimal effort that has a number of different properties to help you digest and absorb the foods that you eat more easily and, further, it contains loads of phyto-nutrients and anti-oxidants. This shake has a few base ingredients and after you throw those in, you can add in whatever else you want – it’s fully customizable to your dietary needs or particular tastes.
What if I told you that you could get the majority of your daily veggie requirements from a single shake in the morning?
STEP ONE: The Must-Have Ingredients
In this section, I am going to go over the must have ingredients in this shake and why they are important. But, before I get into that, there is one thing you absolutely need, a good blender that you can feed the ingredients in through the top. In so far as quantities of the ingredients are concerned, I will largely leave that determination to you as everyone’s tastes will vary dramatically. Better that you eat some and not any of the foods contained below.
#1 WHEY PROTEIN
This is going to be the foundation of your super shake. Whey protein has long been considered the king of proteins for its superior bioavailability and rapid absorption. Whey delivers high amounts of branched chain amino acids to help you recover quickly after a balls-to-the-wall training session and is one of the best protein sources you can have if you want to build muscle fast. Not only is whey protein ideal for building muscle, it’s also good for your health! Studies have shown that whey protein can help to enhance immune function and intestinal health. Make sure your whey protein is made by a reputable sports nutrition company and meets all required quality and purity standards. The last thing you want is to piss away your hard-earned money by using a cheap protein powder manufactured in someone’s basement!
#2 RAW GINGER
Some people like it, some people hate it, but its positive effects on your health can not be denied! Some research suggests that it has a favourable effect on your ability to digest food if consumed raw. It has also been linked to decreasing the number of free radicals floating around in your body, so in other words ginger has powerful anti-oxidant effects. It has also been linked to:
- decreasing colon inflammation (preventing colon cancer)
- prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, certain kinds of cancer, and diabetes
- anti-inflammatory properties
- treating motion sickness
Ginger is really one of those super foods you just can’t ignore; especially with all the potentially harmful carcinogens we expose ourselves to daily. All you probably need in a shake is about a quarter sized piece about half an inch thick. It can be overpowering.
This is what makes your shake green. Kale is an often ignored, but incredibly healthy vegetable that people should eat way more of. It’s kind of like spinach’s nerdy friend that no one likes, but is really super awesome. Kale contains a lot of fibre and this promotes regular digestion and prevents constipation. Since Kale has so many health benefits, I’ll just break it down in point form:
- Contains properties that prevent the formation of Helicobacter Pylori, bacteria in your stomach lining that can lead to gastric cancer
- Contains powerhouse anti-oxidants (carotenoids and flavonoids), in mega doses.
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties – omega-3 and vitamin K. Prevention of inflammation can knock out things like asthma, autoimmune disorders, arthritis, joint paint, etc.
- Contains Glucosinolates. Studies have shown that this can prevent colon, prostate, bladder, breast, ovarian and other forms of cancer.
- Contains vitamin K, C and A. All have fantastic effects on health.
Do I need to do anymore convincing??
IMPORTANT NOTE: We highly recommend using a probiotic daily with your Super Shake. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that are vital for digestive health. New research has shown that probiotics can also help to lower cortisol levels, relive stress and even decrease belly fat. Make sure you always choose a reputable brand. Coach Charles Poliquin sells a very high quality product on his website.
New research has shown that probiotics can also help to lower cortisol levels, relive stress and even decrease belly fat.
STEP TWO: The Options
We’ve covered the awesome stuff that needs to be in the shake. There is a boatload of other ingredients that contain cancer fighting, digestion improving properties. This is where you decide which ones you want to throw in to improve the overall effect on your body. I am going to provide a list of some possible ingredients and briefly, some positive health benefits.
- Berries – Frankly, any kind will do. Berries are anti-oxidant super heavyweights. Just make sure to wash them or buy organic. Strawberries have been known to carry some of the highest levels of pesticides on their skin.
- Broccoli – Another super-heavyweight, sporting more vitamin C than an orange and more calcium than a glass of milk. Not only that but it has a boatload of fibre in there too.
- Avocadoes – They are chock-full of anti-oxidants, protect against eye disease, can lower bad cholesterol and they can also enhance your absorption of carotenoids (anti-oxidants) from other foods.
- Grapes – They contain the popular phyto-nutrient Resveratrol. This is one of the bad-boys of the anti-oxidant gang; it is linked to longevity and has a slew of positive health benefits.
- Pears – Pears have been linked to increased cardiovascular health and prevention of colon cancer, plus they taste awesome. In addition to this, they contain vitamin K, C and a good amount of fibre.
- Spinach – This food is literally one of the best sources of vitamin K and a whole list of beneficial vitamins and minerals. This, along with Kale, will fortify your shake with tons of good stuff.
The list could go on endlessly. Go online, do some research and experiment with different concoctions to find out what works for you!
In The End
Your body is a machine. You get out what you put in. If you put in the best, premium grade fuel – you will get premium grade performance. If you put in Big Macs, well, you’re probably going to look like one. I know that there are supplements out there that contain powdered forms of these vegetables but some of them don’t contain the fibre that the actual plants do. And, these are refined powders, their effects aren’t really proven but the consumption of the natural foods has been. Myself, I believe that the more refined a product is from the original source, the less likely it is to be as efficacious. Take, for instance, the pink slime that chicken Mcnuggets are made of. ‘Nuff said.
No matter what you may look like on the outside, you are still mortal. Your mortality will face you one day, and it may be a good idea to take a few minutes every morning to ensure that you face it later, rather than sooner. Besides, who doesn’t enjoy an easy poop?
Big Jeffrey Pearce, is a physical culture writer, editor, personal trainer, and a lifetime natural bodybuilder from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has been bodybuilding and strength training since he was 16 years old and remains a dedicated gym rat to this day. Big Jeff is one of the strongest athletes you will ever meet, routinely bench pressing 500lbs and tossing up 150lb dumbbells for reps in a typical workout. An honors graduate from the University of Toronto, Jeff’s brains also match his brawn. Jeff will be joining the Strong-Athlete family as our new editor-in-chief and we look forward to more great work from him in the future.